Scientific Computing Core
The Scientific Computing Core's (SCC) primary mission is to provide IT support for all of the services/facilities within the RRC. We also provide IT services to cross colleges and centers such as Cancer Center, CCTS and Pathology.
We provide guidance on the best practices on hosting services, data analysis and purchasing of hardware. We maintain the computers and peripherals from the desktops in the staff offices, the workstations that collect instrument data, to the servers that run the RRC websites and its web-based applications (e.g. UICore, MyData Server). We provide business intelligence dashboards for management to make the best decisions on instruments usage and revenue and budget analysis. Outside of our normal day-to-day duties, we also often provide computing services to many of the RRC's customers who may need computer repair/maintenance, data recovery, network support, training and consulting. The Scientific Computing Core facility also provides solutions to research problems and scientific endeavors that require advanced computing tools.
Our staff has experience with a variety of computing architectures, commercial/open-source software, and programming languages such as JAVA, C#, python and databases MySQL. We support a variety of computer architectures and operating systems including Windows, Mac OS X, Linux.
Notice to all Research Resources Center Customers
In order to minimize COVID-19 spread, the Research Resources Center, Scientific Computing Core is implementing the following temporary mandatory guidelines for using this core:
- All customers entering the core space must wear new, clean gloves
- If there is a need to remove gloves, wash your hands with soap frequently and for at least 20 seconds. Do not touch your face or other individuals. Replace gloves as soon as possible
- Instead of shaking hands, exchange greetings with a wave, bow, or nod
- Try to keep at least one meter/three feet distance between yourself and others
- Disinfect anything you used during your visit with 70% ETOH or Clorox wipes after every use