Research Histology Core
The Research Histology Core (RHC) is located in the Medical Sciences building and its mission is to provide high-quality and high-throughput histological and digital microscopy imaging services for reproducible, automated analysis of tissue morphological characteristics and biomarkers expression in human and animal tissue. The core offers consultations on project design, antibody selection for immunohistochemical staining, and image analysis approach. Please contact the core director, Maria Sverdlov (firstname.lastname@example.org), to schedule a consultation.
The RHC is located in two adjacent and interconnected buildings on the UIC West Campus:
Histology Lab – Medical Sciences Building, Rm E311, 835 S. Wolcott Avenue
• Tissue processing, embedding, and sectioning (FFPE, frozen samples, cell pellets and 3D cell cultures)
• Direct chemical stains (e.g., H&E, Trichrome, PAS, toluidine blue, and others)
• Immunohistochemistry with chromogenic detection for up to two targets
• Immunohistochemistry with immunofluorescence detection of 1-3 targets using standard detections systems
• Simultaneous detection of up to 6 targets using tyramide signal amplification detection (PerkinElmer Opal® dyes)
• Microtome, cryostat, and Laser Microdissection (LMD) system training
• Antibody optimization and new assay development
Samples are accepted M-F from 9:30am until 5pm at the corresponding lab location. Please make sure to submit a copy of an iLab-generated sample submission form with your samples. Turnaround time is based on business days, not including the day of submission. Please allow 10 business days for routine histology and 1 day for brightfield whole slide scanning. Expedited services (4 business days for routine histology) are available (additional 30% charge). Turnabout of samples submitted for projects involving large number of samples (over 100 blocks), antibody optimization, new assay development, and advanced image analysis will be discussed during the consultation.